So have any of you been wondering what the deal is with essential oils?? Why are people obsessed with them?? And, do they really work?? That is how I felt about a year and a half ago. I was super curious and really wanted to know more.
I did some research on good old Google and found that
My friend Courtney suggested I try out essential oils by buying the Young Living starter kit. The current starter kit includes the following:
- Desert Mist™ Diffuser
- Premium Essential Oils Collection;
- Lavender 5-ml
- Peppermint Vitality™ 5-ml
- Lemon Vitality™ 5-ml
- Valor™ 5-ml
- Peace and Calming 5-ml
- Frankincense 5-ml
- Thieves® Vitality™ 5-ml
- Citrus Fresh™ 5-ml
- Raven™ 5-ml
- DiGize™ Vitality™ 5-ml
- PanAway® 5-ml
- Stress Away™ 5-ml
- AromaGlide™ Roller Fitment
- Thieves Household Cleaner 1-oz. sample
- Thieves hand sanitizer
- 10 Love It? Share It! Sample Business Cards
- 10 Love It? Share It! Sample Oil Bottles
- 2 NingXia Red® 2-oz. samples
- Product Guide and Product Price List
- Essential Oils Magazine
- Essential Edge News
- Member Resources
For the sake of organizing this post, I decided to break down the questions/answers I initially had about essential oils for all of you:
Young Living vs Doterra: How do I choose? Which is “better”?
I did a fair amount of research on this topic before I decided to buy my Young Living Oils and to be honest, I have tried both of these oil brands. They both have amazing reviews so in the end, it all came down to Courtney introducing me to the starter kit at just the right time.
Below are a few infographics I think are helpful and give the background of Young Living Oils:
How do you use oils?
This was my first question once I had the oils in my hand. There are basically, three ways to use oils: diffuse, use topically or ingest.
Ingesting oils terrified me at first so I started out with diffusing and using the oils topically. I chose three oils from my starter kit to focus on first because I was a little overwhelmed:
Lavender is probably the most used oil as far as I know and according to the research I have done. It smells amazing and has so many uses. I first started diffusing lavender at night before bed to help me relax. So good!
Then I decided to make a DIY facial toner with witch hazel, lavender, and frankincense (these oils were also in my starter kit). Smells amazing and is great for the skin support!
Thieves essential oil blend is a powerful combination of Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus Radiata, and Rosemary essential oils (youngliving.com). Thieves Oil contains several oils that have antibacterial properties in them which makes Thieves the perfect oils for combating whatever cold/flu-like symptoms you might have (Thieves will NOT cure your cold or flu, but may ease symptoms).
I use Thieves on my chest every morning during the cold winter months when I tend to get sick the most to boost my immune system.
Peppermint was the last oil I focused my attention on in the beginning. Just smelling peppermint can aid in relieving a headache or stomach ache. Some hospitals even give their patients a cotton ball with peppermint oil on it to aid in nausea.
I use this oil on a very regular basis whether that is for helping with my bloating stomach, menstrual cramps or for my migraines. In my opinion, this oil is AWESOME 🙂
How do you keep track of all the uses for each oil?
Simple… I keep a spreadsheet of all the uses and recipes I have found for every oil I have. I reference the spreadsheet on a regular basis. I also won an essential oil book (similar to this one) that has remedies using oils to aid in almost every type of issue (physical, mental, or emotional) you might have.
My Final thoughts on oils
After using my Young Living essential oils for a while now I would highly recommend oils to my friends and followers. I recognize they aren’t a cure for anything, BUT can aid in everyday issues that most of us struggle with.
So are you curious on how to get started with using oils? Let me help you:
How do I get started with essential oils??
I LOVE my Young Living oils and find Young Living’s honesty and transparency of the business to be very impressive. So I would recommend you try Young Living oils. The best bang for your buck is to buy the starter kit I mentioned above. Right now the kit is $165 and includes a diffuser!
To purchase the starter kit click here and follow these directions:
- Add your preferred starter kit to your cart (I recommend the 2019 PSK w/Desert Mist Diffuser kit)
- Start an account/enroll
- Once you are enrolled in Young Living you can then purchase the kit
- Any questions about enrolling reach out to me via my contact page, or Instagram/Facebook DMs
What oils do I use on a regular basis?
- Peppermint oil for menstrual cramps and random headaches and stomach issues
- Tea tree oil on my skin after I shave sensitive areas
- Tea tree, peppermint, frankincense, lavender, and witch hazel for a razor burn relief spray
- Rosemary & Cedarwood in my hair as a mask
- Rosemary, Cedarwood, and Lavender in my DIY Dry Shampoo recipe about five days a week
- I diffuse Thieves while I sleep A LOT during the winter months
- I diffuse Purification, Bergamot, Lemongrass, and Lemon all the time in my kitchen. SMELLS SO GOOD!
- I put lemon vitality in my ice water
- I use Valor in a roller bottle on my wrist for emotional support and to smell good all day long 🙂
- I use an all-purpose cleaner made with Thieves
- PanAway aided in my tennis elbow issues
A few things to know once you have your starter kit:
- Once you are enrolled in Young Living, you will be able to purchase all other oils at the wholesale price!
- You can sign up for a monthly Essential Rewards program, but do not have to. (I currently do not do this)
- You will now be apart of my team and can choose to buy and use oils for yourself OR you can recruit other people to join Young Living (read about the compensation plan here) and make some extra cash.
- The Young Living website has SO much information so please make sure to check out the website.
- Ask me if you have any questions!
I was a little overwhelmed at first, but once I broke down my questions and kept track of recipes and uses I started to really see the benefits of using essential oils. I hope this helps answer your questions about essential oils. I plan to blog about more recipes, uses, and information on oils in the future because I LOVE them 🙂